The color you choose for the walls of your home will have a psychological impact not only on your guests but also on you. To enhance your living experience, it is important that you choose the right color combination which complements the design and décor of your home. To make things a tad easier for you, here’s a guide to choosing the right paint colors for your home:
- The first step you should take is to select a few colors which you feel will work best for your home. Then, select a small area of a wall and paint it using the colors, one by one. Once the color is on the wall, you can envision it better and that will help you make a better decision. This option is perfect if you are confused between multiple choices.
- Next, you should consider the ambience you want to set in a room. For instance, when painting your bedroom, think about the feeling you want to get every time you step in. of course, you would want the room to exude a peaceful and soothing ambience, hence soft colors with cool tones work best for bedrooms. On the other hand, if you want a vibrant living room, you can go for a bright color.
- Don’t ignore the importance of lighting when deciding on paint color. Keep in mind that the color may appear different in natural light and under incandescent lighting. Therefore, you should take the lighting into account when deciding on the paint color for a room. For instance, if you have a large window in the room, painting it in a bright color might not be the best idea, because it will appear extra bright because of the natural light coming through.
- Use a color wheel to enhance the color combinations you are using. You don’t have to limit yourself to one color per room or per area. You can opt for a combination of colors to enhance the effect. For instance, colors which are considered opposites on the color wheel actually work well together to intensify the ambience. Of course, with a color wheel in hand, you will be able to work out more combinations. And, the color wheel will also keep you from selecting a combination which doesn’t work at all.
- While a color wheel will help you create different combinations, it is also possible that you might want to stick to a single color. In that case, you can create some variance by using different finishes. Using different finishes will add different textures to the walls in your home. So, even if you use the same color in multiple rooms, it won’t take away from the ambience or décor.
These are some simple steps you can follow to decide the right paint colors for your home. Keep in mind that you will have to perform these steps for each room to get the ideal combination of colors for your entire home!